Whilst The Mandalorian season 2 may still be a few months off, Star Wars fans can still get their fix of new content with season 7 of The Clone Wars. Though the existing seasons are available to purchase, season 7 is exclusive to Disney Plus – which may be a disappointment to UK fans as Disney Plus isn’t currently available in the UK until March 24 2020.
However, we’ve managed to find a workaround for accessing Disney Plus US through using a VPN and either an Apple App store account or Google Play account.
How to watch The Clone Wars in the UK
- Download a VPN
- Create a new US Apple ID or Google account
- Purchase a digital app store gift card and load it onto the account
- Create a Disney+ account using a VPN, and pay with the gift card credit
This is a brief overview of what to do, but we recommend reading on for further guidance through the process. Keep in mind that as with any time you use a VPN for streaming, it’s technically against the provider’s terms of service. Thereby Disney reserves the right to cancel or block your account at any given time.
When does season 7 of The Clone Wars start?
The debut episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars will drop on February 21 2020, more than a month before Disney Plus comes to the UK. The episodes will be released weekly – so just getting a seven day free trial won’t be enough time to binge the entire thing. The series will wrap on May 8 2020.
If you’d like to know what’s in store for this season, take a look at the full trailer below:
Watch The Clone Wars using a VPN
To watch The Clone Wars through Disney+, you’ll need a VPN. VPNs assign you a new IP address, which can allow you to browse the web as if you’re based in another country – in this case, this would be the United States.
There’s lots of VPNs to choose from, but you’ll need one that’s reasonably priced, fast, reliable and has a good range of servers. One that meets all these criteria is NordVPN, which is our favourite VPN for streaming overall. Another good option would be ExpressVPN, and we have further choices in our article on the best VPNs for streaming Disney+.
If you’d prefer to not spend anything, we do have a list of recommended free VPNs, though these likely won’t have enough server options to stream successfully. Many paid versions also offer free trials, so it’s worth checking those out first.
We’d also like to preface that there were reports of Disney+ blocking some VPNs last year. Your actual Disney Plus account also shouldn’t be blocked – just accessing the site may be tricky, so it’s worth trialling with a few different servers to see what works.
Once you’ve got a working VPN, you’ll also need to find a way around the roadblock of getting payment that’s tied to the US, which requires either a bank account or a credit card in that country to set up.
How to sign up to Disney+
We’ve successfully created an account on Disney+ US to watch the likes of The Mandalorian through creating a new Apple ID or Google account that’s tied to the US. Then, you need to load it up with a USD gift card, and then open Disney+ on either a iOS or Android device, with your VPN server turned on.
- First you need to make a US account for either Apple or Google. It’s best to do this through a VPN just in case, and make sure to use a different email address and set the region to United States.
- Don’t add in any payment info for either – you may need to give a US address, but this can be any US address basically, and you won’t need it again.
- Once you have your account, you need to load it up with credit. This is easy though, as it just involves buying a digital USD gift card for either the Apple App Store (Amazon, Best Buy) or Google Play Store (Amazon, Best Buy). Right now Best Buy will let you buy a smaller value card, but either is fine – just make sure to create a new US account if you use Amazon, not your regular one. You don’t need your VPN for this bit, but you will need to give a US address as your shipping address – the order went through for us just fine though, and nothing will actually be shipped anyway.
- Log into your new US Apple ID or Google account on your phone or tablet and go into the App Store or Play Store to redeem the gift code.
- This is when you need your VPN again. Connect to a US server on your device, and browse the app store for the Disney+ app – install it.
- Now you should be able to create a Disney+ account, and pay for it using your new account balance from the gift card. Select the free trial option to start making an account, and choose whether to pay monthly or annually.
As we’re not too far away from a UK Disney+ launch (which will have The Clone Wars on the library), we can’t guarantee how easy it will be to migrate your US account over to the UK streaming site. Therefore, we’d recommend not using your main email address for this account if you plan on subscribing to Disney Plus UK.
Other ways to watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars
If you’re just looking to catch up on the rest of the show – and don’t need to watch the latest season immediately – you can still buy seasons 1-6 of Star Wars: The Clone Wars on Amazon Prime. However, this will get quite expensive if you want to purchase all the seasons. The cheapest way to watch the show is using the method above, via Disney Plus.
Equally – you can always wait until 24 March, when Disney Plus goes live in the UK, without having to go through the faff of using a VPN. The Clone Wars will be about halfway through season 7 once Disney Plus drops.